Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Thoughts

I've been studying and studying for my CSCS exam which has led me to a lot of interesting topics that I could talk about. So instead of just hitting you with one, I'll briefly discuss a few thoughts I have had in my last week or so of studying.

Do something every day

Cartilage in joints has the least amount of blood flow and needs activity to get the necessary nutrients to keep it healthy. My high school basketball coach used to say this to my team all the time, to do SOMETHING even on our days off. Now this makes sense, especially as we all get older.

General Adaptation Syndrome and Progressive Overload

You have to place demands on the body that your body has not felt before to improve. This means you need to add weight, add reps or decrease rest periods in order to get anything out of your resistance or aerobic training sessions.

Stop looking in the mirror

It takes 16 training sessions before hypertrophy (increases in muscle fiber size) to occur. Yes, after a workout you will feel pumped, but go into each session working on gaining strength and the muscle will be sure to follow it.

Training differences between males and females

There aren't any. The only real differences between training males and females are that females should incorporate a bit more prehabilitation to protect the knee joint. Other than that, females have the same potential to build strength as men do. Don't worry, ladies, resistance training won't make you look like a bodybuilder because of the 10x difference in testosterone production that men have. But, the same rules apply: Progressive overload is a must.

That's all I have today since I have to get to the gym myself and tackle a couple of practice exams tonight, along with some finance homework.

If you have a question or comment, be sure to leave it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment