Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Camp Training

My good friend Terrance Florence is holding a basketball camp this week and I was lucky enough to have time to help him out and do some speed, agility, quickness and strength training with his group of around 50 kids.

Here is the rundown of what we did yesterday, from 10:30 to about 11:50, with some descriptions:

Muscle activation warm-up - the group had been running through skills like shooting off the dribble prior to me starting so a full warm-up wasn't necessary. Activation exercises targeted the hips and glutes.

Vertical jumps - focus was on sticking the landing in the right position.

Wall drives and arm swings - acceleration technique.

Ball drop drills - focus on first step quickness, removing the false start and acceleration. We did these from a number of different starting positions.

Slide variations - I like progressing from closed chain (classic lane slides) to open chain (mirror drill or coach direction).

Strengthening - This was more of a talk than anything. We went over how to do YTA's and the importance of upper back strengthening. I talked about squatting, how low one needs to go, the importance of attaining a full range of motion and how to achieve a full ROM if you aren't currently there. We went over proper push up and single leg deadlift form. We finished with my favorite plank circuit that I got from Coach Cantor during my time at UMBC.

I will be back on Wednesday to do the same thing so I will post what I do with the campers. Overall, day one was great. The kids were receptive and worked hard.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment