Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wanna improve? Lift Heavy!

I got a chance yesterday to get in the weight room, something I will not have the opportunity to do a ton this summer because of my busy schedule. Now this doesn't mean I won't be training, as I've learned how to use anything I can find to get a training session in. However, I always love getting back in the weight room because it gives me a chance to move some heavy weight. I'm not saying I'm He-Man, but I do understand that in order to get reach my goals, I need to work with heavy loads.

A misconception that I hear a lot is that when people want to improve in any area, they tend to stay away from lifting heavy. Somebody trying to "just tone" their muscles (which is another post for another day) does high reps, as does a person trying to lose weight. Somebody trying to jump higher, does endless jumps with their bodyweight. There is a better way to improve strength, body composition, in-game performance and build muscle, and its working with heavy weights.

I am not suggesting that somebody with no experience goes in and tries to squat 300 pounds. What I am saying is that after you have built up a level of strength where you can squat and deadlift your weight for 10 perfect reps, you need to start working with heavier weights. Instead of continuing with the programs that most beginnners are on of 3 sets of 10 reps, or doing a program you find in a muscle mag that calls for slow reps that last 30 seconds, start adding weight with 3 sets of 6-8 reps. After a few weeks of that, 4-5 sets of 4-5 reps. What many advocate, including somebody that after finding his website got me really interested in training as a career, Joe Defranco whose site is linked below, is working up to a 3-5 rep max on the big lifts of bench press, squat and deadlift and their variations. For more on this type of program, leave me a comment below.

Do not do all 3 of these lifts with heavy weights every session, but pick one to start out with and make it your heavy exercise for the day. If you improve on those 3 exercises then the rest of the improvements will be sure to follow.

Before you do anything, find a qualified coach that can teach you how to perform certain exercises and put you on a program to work up to a level to begin heavy lifting. If you are already at that level, start adding weight to the bar!

The benefits of heavy lifting are numerous, like an increase in ligament and tendon strength and an increase in testosterone production, as well as an increase in the speed you are able to move lighter loads. Also, the dirty looks you get from 140 pound trainers for deadlifting because it will hurt your back or the increase in times your asked how you met Barry Bonds' trainer. (Ok, the last one was a stretch, but I had to have some fun, I just got out of the car after 8 hours. But the first one WILL happen. When it does, smile, grip and rip that bar off the floor!)

So add some weight to the bar when you're ready. And it doesn't need to be a lot. A 5 pound increase in your deadlift, squat or bench every month for 5 years is 300 pounds. That may sound like a long time, but remember, this is a journey, not some quick fix.

If you have questions about exercises, programming or either of the two for a certain goal or sport, be sure to leave them below, as well as any comments!

I don't know if I will be able to post next week because I'll be working basketball camp in the Pocono's, but I'll be sure to get you some good stuff after the 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment